The former Hill’s Trust School in Govan is another example of a fine old building simply locked up and left to its own devices.
Abraham Hill, a Govanite turned Wolverhampton merchant, endowed the trust in 1757 with £200 to buy land at Golspie Street, the rent from which paid a teacher to teach for free 10 boys and girls from the poorest families of Meikle Govan, the name Hill preferred.
By 1869 increasing land values made a new and larger school, possible. It was later acquired by Govan School Board.
Designed by architect James Thomson, of Baird and Thomson, it is a severe Italianate, 2-storey L-plan school with 3-storey bell-tower and janitor's house.
In 2015 planning permission was given for alterations and extensions to form the headquarters for Elderpark Housing Association.
In July 2017 an inspection by the Buildings at Risk Register found the building remains disused.
Thanks to our fabulous LG friends, we now learn the building will shortly be brought back to life: