Out of this world... #FPGlasgow
Now better known as home to the Forbidden Planet comic shop, a Clark's shoe shop, and for the lane that cuts through to Queen Street Station, architect John Archibald Campbell’s magnificent, red sandstone office block, at 166 Buchanan Street, was built, in 1898, as the Britannia Assurance Building.
In its heyday, it was also home to the British Workman’s and General Assurance Company.
Anyway, here’s the thing, after almost 32 years – which must make it one the longest surviving business on the street – Forbidden Planet is about to dematerialise, only to miraculously reappear at 122-126 Sauchiehall Street.
The shop will swap 999 sq ft of space for just under 6000 sq ft in the new unit (with an extra 3rd floor of 1000 sq ft they may expand into later/next year), making it the biggest or second biggest 'comics' store in the country.
They hope to be up and running by October.
Lost Glasgow wishes them well.
Sadly, the top end of Buchanan Street has lost much of its original character, with most of the last of the late Georgian/early Victorian buildings swept away to be replaced by the concrete and glass boxes of the second phase of the Buchanan Galleries.
Thankfully, this tall, elegant, and skinny landmark – one of Glasgow’s ‘jolly red giants’ – still stands sentinel…