It's always sad to see a proud old school neglected, left to rot, at the mercy of vandals and nature. To have two such grand buildings on practically the same street, is more than slightly careless.
Tureen Street School in Calton, (from the French terrine, an earthen vessel, echoing the area's links with several potteries), is just up the road from St James Primary School. They are within sight of each other.
They are both in the Calton area of Glasgow’s East End, for which Glasgow City Council has prepared Area Development Framework (ADF) as part of its commitment in the East End Local Development Strategy.
The ADF views the St James school site as key to unlocking the potential of south east Calton. The Council is keen to encourage a temporary re-use of the school building while longer-term opportunities for introducing housing could be explored in the context of a masterplan approach.
In other words, let it fall to bits.
Tureen Street School, up the road from St James, is possibly in a happier place.
The Area Development Framework does not specifically mention the former school but does note that Glasgow City Council considers that historic buildings can help create a distinct character and where possible enhancement measures, such as the repair, maintenance and re-use, will be encouraged.
Last July, the City Property Glasgow marketing website noted offers have been received for the proposed sale of the school.
The architects for St James, built around 1895, were Thomson and Sandilands. John Thomson was the eldest surviving son of the architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson.
The partnership won a competition to design Gartcosh Asylum, a vast complex which established the reputation of the practice, particularly in hospital design.
In 1910 Sandilands won the competition for Hutchison's Girls' School.
LG makes no link between the two!
Tureen Street School was designed by architect John Honeyman, and built in 1875. Born in Glasgow, Honeyman set up an architectural practice in the city in 1862, one of his first works being Lansdowne United Presbyterian Church on Great Western Road.
Other prominent Glasgow buildings with which he is associated include North Park House, the Ca' D'Oro Building, Trinity Congregational Church and numerous schools such as Rockvilla and Burnbank Primaries.
In 1889 Honeyman went into partnership with John Keppie in the firm Honeyman & Keppie. A design by one of the firm's juniors, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, won the contract to build the Glasgow School of Art.